Actual freedom and Laughter

thumbnail
Ross A K, modified 12 Years ago at 7/26/11 9:59 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 7/26/11 9:59 PM

Actual freedom and Laughter

If there is no emotion in AF how come there is laughter (which is a result of an emotion)? I listened to most of the 1st part of Tarin and Dan's podcast and I heard them both laughing. Is this one of those laughs without smiling (joking)? Seriously I don't get it. If you claim there is no emotion how is that possible? This is about 75% curiosity and the rest is skepticism. No disrespect intended. It was very good stuff. PCE sounds very familiar to some experiences I've had like non-abiding awareness.
With Metta - Ross
thumbnail
tarin greco, modified 12 Years ago at 7/27/11 12:19 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 7/27/11 12:19 AM

RE: Actual freedom and Laughter (Answer)

hi nipuna,

the answer to your question effectively lies in unravelling the erroneous assumption implied in your post's first sentence, namely, that laughter is necessarily the result of an emotion; it is not. nor does laughter, moreover, necessarily result from any other instinctually passional occurrence, however subtle or simple (and regardless of whether or not it coalesces into an emotional form), for neither a sense of humour nor the capacity to express its appreciation requires an affective faculty. simply put, there is much in the actual world that a person may find funny (depending on one's non-affective tastes and sensibilities) ... and all it takes to discern this for oneself is a pure consciousness experience.

the purpose of my reply is not only to address your question, but also to point out that the 'actualism/actual freedom' forum category is intended for practically-oriented discussion regarding the actualism method (and the condition to which its effective practice leads). while speculation about the nature of either the method or its result is not categorically discouraged within the method's application, it does lay beyond the scope of this forum's focus. as such, should you wish to continue your curious and sceptical inquiry (and in particular, should you wish to continue it without a practice aimed at experientially verifying the matter for yourself), i ask that you please do so elsewhere (whether elsewhere on the dharma overground discussion forum or off-site entirely).

tarin
thumbnail
Ross A K, modified 12 Years ago at 7/27/11 5:58 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 7/27/11 5:58 AM

RE: Actual freedom and Laughter

Thanks Tarin,
Its good you can still laugh. Im interested in AF. I was just seeking clarification. And, I got that. Like I said, PCE sounds familiar to some of my personal experiences, . Do you have a good link for beginners to PCE and AF? Please excuse me if my speech seems disrespectful. I truly was not trying to be. I don't always know how to phrase questions. But, not afraid to ask the wrong way in order to get the info that can be put to use. I am interested in AF after-all.
Thank You - Ross
thumbnail
Bruno Loff, modified 12 Years ago at 7/27/11 6:09 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 7/27/11 6:09 AM

I usually point people to the Actual Freedom page in the DhO wiki.
ed c, modified 12 Years ago at 7/27/11 9:30 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 7/27/11 9:30 AM

Nipuna Ross A.:
Do you have a good link for beginners to PCE and AF?

Hi Ross -
This is one of the better sources I found.
http://www.dharmaoverground.org/web/guest/discussion/-/message_boards/message/901351

I would add essentially focusing directly on having a PCE and then not getting it can lead to frustration and get you further from AF. Once I started looking at a PCE as more of a by product of a practice of being happy, harmless and naive, things got better. With that said, I suppose it all depends on you and where you are really starting from, just something to consider. Good luck.
Ed