Any hacks to get to A&P

Matt Jon Rousseau, modified 1 Year ago at 1/8/23 4:54 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 5/30/22 7:39 PM

Any hacks to get to A&P

I meditate for about  1 hour a day. Using  mahasi  practical insight meditation as my main text.  Basic rising and falling  noting. I would really like to get to the ap. All I get is good relaxation. I also think I reach access  concentration sometimes. I really want this.  What should I do
George S, modified 1 Year ago at 5/30/22 9:47 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 5/30/22 9:47 PM

RE: Any hacks to get to A&P

Note 'wanting'
Created 1 Year ago at 5/30/22 11:26 PM

Ah the Ole catch 22
​​​​​​​
thumbnail
Niels Lyngsø, modified 1 Year ago at 5/31/22 1:59 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 5/31/22 1:59 AM

+ 1 to what George is saying. And otherwise consider doing a retreat. 8-10 days of intensive meditation often get people to the A&P. 
Created 1 Year ago at 5/31/22 4:19 AM

What  is Intense?.  2 hours ? 4 hours? I believe Thai forest tradition usually  do 5 hours of on the Cushing
​​​​​​​
Adi Vader, modified 1 Year ago at 5/31/22 4:23 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 5/31/22 4:23 AM

Pl see if this helps:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Arhatship/comments/rqbtx0/discussion_thread_28_dec_2021/hyr6yne?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share&context=3
thumbnail
Ben V, modified 1 Year ago at 5/31/22 7:23 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 5/31/22 7:23 AM

I find that investigating a coarse sensation meticulously, like an itch, for instance, can propel one to A&P. Really looking into the details of the sensation with curiosity. At one point the sensation will start to erupt into rapidly changing vibrations, usually spreading beyond to location you were investigating. 
Jeff, modified 1 Year ago at 5/31/22 8:04 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 5/31/22 8:04 AM

Personally, I found I started to make progress once I built up my concentration practice, and could get access concentration regularly (and 1st Jhana on occasion). I then went on a Mahasi retreat and really focussed in on bodily sensations, and hit the A&P fairly easily.
thumbnail
Jim Smith, modified 1 Year ago at 5/31/22 8:44 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 5/31/22 8:35 AM

Matt Jon Rousseau
I meditate for about  1 hour a day. Using  mahasi  practical insight meditation as my main text.  Basic rising and falling  noting. I would really like to get to the ap. All I get is good relaxation. I also think I reach access  concentration sometimes. I really want this.  What should I do

Try breathing in a relaxing way and notice the pleasant feeling of relaxation as you breathe in and out.  Do this with your eyes open and also notice what you are seeing. You can do this as walking meditation after you first practice it as sitting meditation. Try to avoid too intense concentration, relaxation is more important than concentration. Intense concentration just creates stress which is counterproductive. Notice stray thoughts, observe them, trying to stamp them out or getting carried away by them or lost in thought are to be avoided. I also recommend preparing for meditation with relaxation exercises which are also a kind of meditation - you will get much better results if you do them first.
thumbnail
Pepe ·, modified 1 Year ago at 5/31/22 8:55 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 5/31/22 8:55 AM

What Ben V. said above, applied to the rising and falling of the breath in the torso, as that's what you have  been practicing, should do the job. Mindfulness off-cushion is key IMHO. Check in the link below the  7 Factors of Awakening and Anicca in particular:

Anicca Instructions - MCTB2
thumbnail
Niels Lyngsø, modified 1 Year ago at 6/1/22 2:25 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 6/1/22 2:25 AM

Intensive meditation (which might or might not get intense – the two words are not synonymous) would IMHO be anything upwards of eight hours of sitting per day. On Goenka retreats, you sit ten hours a day. In the Mahasi tradition, you switch between sitting and walking all day long, often totalling sixteen hours of meditation all in all.

If you are new to meditation and have not done retreats before, I recommend being careful. Some yogis (including myself) have pushed them selves too hard on retreat and fried them selves. It can do real damage. And it is very individual where your limit is, and not always easy to figure out beforehand. If you have trauma, especially (even partly) unresolved trauma, in your bagage, the risk of adverse effects is bigger.

So I would say, start by doing one whole day of meditation. For instance eight times one hour of sitting, interspersed with some yoga, tai chi, qi gong or other form of mindful movement, and with some periods of rest. Observe "noble silence", switch off all communications and devices. Do not distract yourself with anything that whole day.  And if that goes okay, then maybe two days, then maybe five etc. 

​​​​​​​Best wishes!
Created 1 Year ago at 6/1/22 2:47 AM

Thanks much.  That was helpful
​​​​​​​
thumbnail
Noah D, modified 1 Year ago at 6/1/22 10:03 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 6/1/22 10:03 PM

Pepe ·
What Ben V. said above, applied to the rising and falling of the breath in the torso, as that's what you have  been practicing, should do the job. Mindfulness off-cushion is key IMHO. Check in the link below the  7 Factors of Awakening and Anicca in particular:

Anicca Instructions - MCTB2

+1 off cushion practice
Created 1 Year ago at 6/2/22 4:41 AM

Niels Lyngsø
Intensive meditation (which might or might not get intense – the two words are not synonymous) would IMHO be anything upwards of eight hours of sitting per day. On Goenka retreats, you sit ten hours a day. In the Mahasi tradition, you switch between sitting and walking all day long, often totalling sixteen hours of meditation all in all.

If you are new to meditation and have not done retreats before, I recommend being careful. Some yogis (including myself) have pushed them selves too hard on retreat and fried them selves. It can do real damage. And it is very individual where your limit is, and not always easy to figure out beforehand. If you have trauma, especially (even partly) unresolved trauma, in your bagage, the risk of adverse effects is bigger.

So I would say, start by doing one whole day of meditation. For instance eight times one hour of sitting, interspersed with some yoga, tai chi, qi gong or other form of mindful movement, and with some periods of rest. Observe "noble silence", switch off all communications and devices. Do not distract yourself with anything that whole day.  And if that goes okay, then maybe two days, then maybe five etc. 

​​​​​​​Best wishes!

Wow. Thanks. That sounds hard. But good things are hard work
Created 1 Year ago at 6/2/22 4:43 AM

I work for 8 hours and he 8 hours of sleep. I suppose  i should spend  at least 4 hours in sitting meditation. That would be half  of my free time.   
thumbnail
Niels Lyngsø, modified 1 Year ago at 6/2/22 6:27 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 6/2/22 6:27 AM

I am not suggesting you should do intensive meditation in your everyday life. A retreat is a special occasion, a "boot camp". I know life circumstances vary, and that not everybody are able to, but the idea is to set some time aside for intensive practice – a day off, a weekend, a week of the summer holiday, what ever is doable in your life. BTW it is possible to have a strong practice leading to good results without doing a single retreat. So if it is hard to fit in, don't worry. Consistent daily practice is the one important thing.
thumbnail
Pepe ·, modified 1 Year ago at 6/2/22 6:27 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 6/2/22 6:27 AM

I work for 8 hours and he 8 hours of sleep. I suppose  i should spend  at least 4 hours in sitting meditation. That would be half  of my free time.   

If you commute, have wife/children/pets, do some kind of physical exercise, cook and shower, that would probably consume all of your free time. Four hours a day is doable, but for a short period of time, IMHO. Better to do 2 hours per day and keep mindfulness all day long. You still have the weekends for multiple sessions per day.  
Robert L, modified 1 Year ago at 6/2/22 11:07 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 6/2/22 11:07 AM

I got to my first classic A&P by meditating on the breath until access concentration was achieved. I was actively noting at the time and for some reason became concentrated on the sensations bombarding my left big toe. I concentrated on those sensations, they became very granular, then mildly electric, the sensations started to spread up my foot, and then this sense of a band of "electricity"- as if I was being scanned- just slowly made its way up my body, to my head, then disapated. Not sure if that's a hack, but it's how it happened for me.
Robert L, modified 1 Year ago at 6/2/22 11:11 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 6/2/22 11:11 AM

Also, forgot to mention, I was practicing 1-2 hours daily at the time. I had a 1 week self retreat a week or two before my A and P. Practicing Mahasi style noting, and TMI.
T DC, modified 1 Year ago at 6/2/22 7:28 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 6/2/22 7:28 PM

Another perspective, if you are a dedicated meditator and interested in the A/P, you're probably already past the A/P.

That said, the single biggest boost to meditation practice generally (as mentioned above) is a strong effort in maintaining mindfulness in daily life.
holiday season, modified 1 Year ago at 6/6/22 8:52 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 6/6/22 8:52 PM

Hi Matt,
I created an account just to reply to this because I have a go-to 'hack' that helps me get into A&P territory within a few minutes.

I open up a youtube video of television static (with the sound on and headphones too), put it on fullscreen and use the whole computer monitor as a sort of ‘impermanence’ kasina, just relaxing my gaze and letting attention grab onto whatever shapes/patterns/pixels/vibrations it detects, in the visual field and/or any auditory strobing.

Sometimes the visuals are very individuated and defined, sometimes they merge into larger flowing patterns, sometimes they start developing into 3D geometric structures. The immediate visual feedback helps to keep things interesting and minimizes distractions.

Even just 5-10 minutes of this seems to get the vipassana engine running, and then for hours afterward, vibratory phenomena are effortlessly at the forefront of experience: flickering pixels in the visual field, auditory strobing, vibrations across the skin and throughout the body.  
It’s been really effective for me, but I can only speak for my own experience since I haven’t seen this particular practice used before. Would love to hear if it works for you as well.

(Seizure warning by the way! Lots of flashing lights in the videos. Also make sure to increase quality to 720/1080p)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LxpYpb7O1A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CCVhqps6Ic