Retreat Preparation: Concentration or Insight?

thumbnail
Bagpuss The Gnome, modified 12 Years ago at 3/28/12 6:48 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 3/28/12 6:41 AM

Retreat Preparation: Concentration or Insight?

....or both

I'm a week away from a Goenka 10day. Im currently sitting 3hrs a day doing 20-30mins anapana and then sweeping. re reading this guide to SE on a Goenka

As I move to 4hrs, Im wondering if I should limit my practice to just the anapana?

Currently I have varying levels of progress from DN to low EQ (if I am any judge!) but wonder where the best value would be gained as I ramp up my practice in prep for this retreat.

EDIT:

What sort of momentum should you have with your concentration practice? You should attempt to continue observing the breath in the mentioned way, non stop at all times while awake. During breaks and rest periods, eating periods, in the shower, while brushing your teeth, and of course while sitting. Continue to observe the incoming and outgoing breath non-stop without pause. It takes this kind of effort and momentum to get highly concentrated. If you prepare yourself by gaining momentum before the course starts you will find it much easier to start the course with the mind ready to take it all the way.

I hadn't finished re reading the article emoticon I think that implies concentration, but I'll leave this post open as it's still an interesting question I think.

Thanks all,
thumbnail
Ross A K, modified 12 Years ago at 3/28/12 11:02 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 3/28/12 11:02 AM

RE: Retreat Preparation: Concentration or Insight?

I have a lot of experience with slacking off before a retreat then having to use the first couple days "powering up" momentum. So yeah Im seconding the advice on building momentum prior to retreat. If you doing anapanasati prior to retreat I would say stick with that for prep. You probably don't want to get all into body sweep technique prof to retreat just to get to the retreat and do 3 day anapana again. You can be mindful of every breath for those first 3 days. I wouldnt worry about calling it insight or concentration as anapanasati is all inclusive. And about believing that stream is possible, a month prior to landing stream entry, I told a friend that I wouldnt be suprised if I got stream entry in a month ( he was like oh cmon) a month later to my suprise I did just that, while sitting on my bed in sumati kuti at Bhavana society emoticon!

Practice well!
Ross
thumbnail
Bagpuss The Gnome, modified 12 Years ago at 3/28/12 12:04 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 3/28/12 12:04 PM

RE: Retreat Preparation: Concentration or Insight?

Thanks Ross. That makes a lot of sense!

I do indeed believe it possible. I'm fairly sure I had a very near miss some months back before I slid back down again. Im resolving to be aware every waking moment and get it done!

Breadcrumb