Mahasi Sayadaw

Bryn Shyndor, modified 10 Years ago at 10/31/13 5:51 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 10/31/13 5:51 PM

Mahasi Sayadaw

Greetings everyone,

It seems that Mahasi Sayadaw, is well respected here, as are his methods of noting meditation.

That being said, I would like to try and clear up some things that for some might or might not be known or unknown.

It seems most have heard of Mahasi Sayadaw.
He taught the full path to liberation, not just noting, He taught everything from jhana, metta-jhana, vipassana, nibbana, Noble Eightfold Path, Anatta, etc etc etc.

Please correct me if I am wrong, and ,yes I know Mindfulness is the King/Lead horse on the Eightfold Path, but for full liberation I would argue for the requirement of the other Seven parts of the eightfold path must also be developed for full liberation.

Anyway, and here is where I am asking for help: Does anyone know where to find Mahasi Sayadaw's complete list of English Translated Books? I know there were 60 or so written, but only 30+- in English. I saw a list somewhere and will post it when I find it. Also, where to get these books? Myanmarbookshop.com has some, Personally I've never used them so??
I am not asking anyone to do the research for me, but if this has already been posted somewhere, or if there is a web-site, could someone direct me there??

I have found a couple links to access his other teachings, which somehow have been tucked away in the shadows of the worldy world...

http://www.yellowrobe.com/books/mahasi-sayadaw/237-books-by-mahasi-sayadaw.html

(You will need to add the fonts for the above link for the pdf's to be completely readable) It is on their website in the instructions.

Mahasi Sayadaw BrahmaVihara Dhamma
http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/brahmavihara.pdf

Mahsai Sayadaw The Great Discourse on the Wheel of Dhamma
http://www.buddhistelibrary.org/en/albums/asst/ebook/damachak.pdf

Anyway, my main reason for this post is that Mahasi Sayadaw taught more than just Noting, and from what I found a few years back was that looks as though he taught the entire path, which is why I am somewhat baffled as to why no one mentions his other works and Dhamma teachings.

I am cutting this post short, lol, sorry.

Metta,

Bryan

p.s. I apologize if the links are goofy, I just copied and pasted
thumbnail
Brian Eleven, modified 10 Years ago at 10/31/13 6:26 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 10/31/13 6:26 PM

RE: Mahasi Sayadaw

Hello, though he's not my cup of tea:

http://www.holybooks.com/

Show 42 results when I searched for Mahasi Sayadaw. There may be some duplicates or alternate editions of the same, but they have a pretty good (free) library.

Brian.
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 10 Years ago at 10/31/13 6:55 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 10/31/13 6:52 PM

Here is avery good source for more talks/books by Mahasi Sayadaw translated by a westerner who became a monk under the Sayadaw:
http://www.aimwell.org/mahasi.html

Nick
Bryn Shyndor, modified 10 Years ago at 10/31/13 7:28 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 10/31/13 7:28 PM

"Holy books Batman! "

Hey thanks, I have pretty much found out what I had thought, Mahasi Saydaw did indeed teach, Brahma Viharas , the Eightfold Path, Metta-Jhanas, etc.
Bryn Shyndor, modified 10 Years ago at 10/31/13 7:31 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 10/31/13 7:31 PM

Thank you !
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 10 Years ago at 11/2/13 8:14 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/2/13 8:14 AM

I think the point is valid that this other stuff often gets missed or not mentioned.

Having been to Asia and hung out in a Mahasi center there, it is hard not to get handed some of his books on your way out the door, or at least see a large collection in the bookstore on the way out the door, and I have a good number of Mahasi's works on my shelf, and it is easy to forget that those not going through that route might not be exposed to all of that material in the same way. I really like his stuff.

That said, if you go to a center there, you will not get handed his books at the front door, and instead will get taught one thing, noting, and you will get taught it well if you go to a good center, and that one thing will be the basis for most of your practice up to a certain point.

They do practice meta every night at the end of the day, at least where I was.

Now, this is all as a lay meditator, as they keep their eye on what they believe the prize is, meaning the stages of awakening.

That said, it is true that beyond a certain point, and that point is pretty far out there, say past second path, as a lay meditator you might get taught other things such as jhanas and the like, and even some of the powers if you get really good and they trust you with them, and at least one of my teachers had been trained in those.

If you were a monk, then the whole thing would be very different in ways, as there would be a whole package, as they would feel they had the time to go more broadly and deeply in more things, but as a lay practitioner: stream entry gets priority above all else, and I can definitely see why.

Breadcrumb