Does meditation shorten the time between review and new insight path?

thumbnail
Westthings, modified 8 Years ago at 10/23/15 3:20 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 10/23/15 3:20 PM

Title.

Just curious if it would take the same amount of time reguardles if you are meditating or not.

thanks!
thumbnail
Ian And, modified 8 Years ago at 10/23/15 6:42 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 10/23/15 6:35 PM

RE: Does meditation shorten the time between review and new insight path?

Under what condition are you presuming to gain an advantage in time with the use of meditation?

In other words, how do you perceive the practice of meditation as helping in that way?

For example, does it help you to gain mental clarity and calmness (samatha) of concentrated states and better mindfulness and comprehension (sati-sampajanna) of the material when you are considering examining the Dhamma?  If so, then maybe you have the answer you are seeking.
thumbnail
Westthings, modified 8 Years ago at 10/23/15 8:03 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 10/23/15 8:03 PM

This isn't the question I am asking. I know what you are saying, it's true but not what I'm  looking for. 

Call it prepping for a retreat next month.
thumbnail
Noah, modified 8 Years ago at 10/24/15 10:29 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 10/24/15 10:27 PM

Darrek:
Title.

Just curious if it would take the same amount of time reguardles if you are meditating or not.

thanks!

In my experience, Review period very specifically takes around 4 weeks.  The first two involve rapid cycling.  The second two involve the cycling slowing down to a seemingly complete stop.  Conceptually, I understand this to be a function of the human energetic system, independent of expectations, practice and practitioner (although this explanation is admittedly too simplistic).  This is also the opinion of the meditation teacher I learned from, who has seen these symptoms occur in a fairly large number of cases.  There is nothing you can do to make it go by quicker.  You'll know you're out of Review because you won't be able to get past the 1st nana.
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 8 Years ago at 10/25/15 7:01 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 10/25/15 7:01 PM

Darrek:

Just curious if it would take the same amount of time regardless if you are meditating or not.

...Call it prepping for a retreat next month.

There are people I have talked to that have said that they completed 1st path and then went straight for 2nd path on the same retreat and got it.
So apparently that is a possibility.
In my experience the 'honeymoon phase' lasts about 4 weeks give or take....but that is the extra energetic feelings thats like a month long A&P. The review phase for me lasted different amounts of time each path/major shift  but the 'honeymoon phase' has been consistent.

Whatcha contemplating on doing? You might just ask that question instead....might be able to better answer.
~D
thumbnail
Westthings, modified 8 Years ago at 10/25/15 10:11 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 10/25/15 10:11 PM

Thanks to both of you guys. Exactly what I was looking for.

Breadcrumb