Fast? Or slow?

thumbnail
C Wilson, modified 11 Years ago at 5/29/12 8:44 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 5/25/12 11:59 AM

Fast? Or slow?

I'm a relatively new meditator (~9 months), and I've hit somewhat of a confusing patch in my Insight practice. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

While sitting, I've realized there are basically two different ways I'm able to observe sensations. Two different gears, really.

The first way is very, very quick. My scope of attention is very wide, kinda "big picture," including my surroundings. I don't even really try to focus on the breath. Doing this, I'm able to sense flickers of sensations all over my body, almost like nerves firing off. It moves so quickly, though, it's almost out of control. I'm not really able to "note" things in the classic sense. It's more like "there," "there," "there," wait "there." Sometimes, even trying to note with a "there" or a filler word just slows the whole thing down, and I think I'd be better off just tuning into the flicker. Is this a productive way to practice? Or ...

The second option is to deliberately slow things down to a snail's pace and narrow my scope of attention, so that I'm able to accurately note and really focus on bigger, more concrete sensations: "rising, falling, foot's asleep, rising, neck itches, falling, dog's barking."

Thanks in advance for any advice. None of the literature I've read has really answered this question for me, and I just want to make sure I'm using my time on the cushion efficiently.

- Chris
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 11 Years ago at 5/25/12 7:28 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 5/25/12 7:28 PM

RE: Fast? Or slow?

Christopher N Wilson:
I'm a relatively new meditator (~9 months), and I've hit somewhat of a confusing patch in my Insight practice. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

While sitting, I've realized there are basically two different ways I'm able to observe sensations. Two different gears, really.

The first way is very, very quick. My scope of attention is very wide, kinda "big picture," including my surroundings. I don't even really try to focus on the breath. Doing this, I'm able to sense flickers of sensations all over my body, almost like nerves firing off. It moves so quickly, though, it's almost out of control. I'm not really able to "note" things in the classic sense. It's more like "there," "there," "there," wait "there." Sometimes, even trying to note with a "there" or a filler word just slows the whole thing down, and I think I'd be better off just tuning into the flicker. Is this a productive way to practice? Or ...

The second option is to deliberately slow things down to a snail's pace and narrow my scope of attention, so that I'm able to accurately note and really focus on bigger, more concrete sensations: "rising, falling, foot's asleep, rising, neck itches, falling, dog's barking."

Thanks in advance for any advice. None of the literature I've read has really answered this question for me, and I just want to make sure I'm using my time on the cushion efficiently.

- Chris

Turn both these skills towards the entire field of experience. The looked at and the supposed 'looker'. This means investigating what is automatically read as 'self' (felt as a tangible feeling of 'me-ness) and applying those two skills to the investigation of it.

P.S. What is your question?
thumbnail
C Wilson, modified 11 Years ago at 5/27/12 8:55 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 5/27/12 8:55 PM

Thanks for the reply, Nikolai. I guess my question is "am I doing this right?"

So, is "thinking" OK in insight practice? I was always taught to note thinking as "thinking" and move on. Which I guess begs the question "How am I supposed to 'investigate', but not think?"

What you suggest, means some level of thinking, right?
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 11 Years ago at 5/28/12 1:27 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 5/28/12 1:27 AM

Christopher N Wilson:
Thanks for the reply, Nikolai. I guess my question is "am I doing this right?"

So, is "thinking" OK in insight practice? I was always taught to note thinking as "thinking" and move on. Which I guess begs the question "How am I supposed to 'investigate', but not think?"

What you suggest, means some level of thinking, right?

I'd say apply both approaches when you see fit to the ENTIRE field of experience. That means everything that makes up the experience of being alive. Investigate means 'pay attention'. You don't need to 'think', although if thinking is occurring, pay attention to the thinking and thoughts.

Nick
thumbnail
C Wilson, modified 11 Years ago at 12/15/12 11:52 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 12/15/12 11:52 PM

This seemed abstract when I first read it, but 7 months later seems spot-on. Thanks!